Our key services
Key treatments, specialisms and services offered at Westmorland General Hospital include:
- 34 beds
- Midwifery–led maternity services
- Elective surgical services
- Outpatient Services
- Chemotherapy Unit
- Primary Care Assessment Unit (PCAS) operated by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust - GPs refer patients to PCAS for assessment and diagnosis to allow our GPs to decide the best place for the patient, be it to admit them to the Langdale Unit, transfer them to the Acute Hospitals (RLI or FGH) or to arrange for the patient to be looked after in their own homes with the help of other community services. Patients who visit PCAS with an emergency or minor injury will be seen as quickly as possible but at times when the department is busy they may have to wait. Patients are seen in order of clinical need and priority is given to patients presenting with medical emergencies. Some patients may be able to be seen by the Nurse Clnician/Team Leader/Nurse Practitioner and some occasions patients may need to return for a follow up and an appointment will then be made for you. Patients can access PCAS 24 hours a day, the department currently sees in excess of 20,000 patients a year.
- GP led medical care (operated by Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust)
- Renal dialysis unit (operated by Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust)
How to find us
Westmorland General Hospital
Plan your route with Google maps
Please check with the local operator before travelling if you are unsure.
Buses to WGH:
41 - disabled access
41a - disabled access
X35 - low floor only
567 - no disabled access (only stops at the bus stop on the A65 outside the hospital)
Distance: 1 mile (approx - Oxenholme)
Time to walk: 25 minutes (Oxenholme) 1 hour+ (Kendal)
Nearest railway station - Oxenholme. Possible to walk but taxi best option, steep hill, short cut through housing estate at the bottom of the hill (near the mini-roundabout), small bridge in the estate taking you into the rear of the hospital site. Taxi rank at Station.
Related link National Rail: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Arriving by Road
From the M6: Leave at J36. Follow signs to A65 Endmoor. Turn left onto A65 Endmoor, travel for 6 miles - approaching Kendal Hospital entrance and car park on the right hand side
Hospital situated on Burton Road (heading out towards Crooklands), just near Kendal Asda.
Up to 1 hour - £1.25
Up to 2 hours - £2.15
Up to 4 hours - £3.50
Up to 8 hours - £4.95
Up to 24 hours - £6.60
Weekly ticket - £7.60
Designated parking for people with blue badges exists in front of all the main entrances and close to the entrance and exit of the main pay and display car park. Drivers with blue badges utilising these spaces are not required to pay.
There are also limited 20 minute short stay parking spaces in front of entrances. Please note that the pay and display machines only take coins, not notes or debit/credit cards.
Enquiries concerning parking can be directed to the General Office, Monday to Friday during office hours, to the car park patrol staff or via the switchboard at all other times.
Whenever possible people attending the site for whatever reason are asked to consider and use public transport wherever possible.
For visiting times, please see the visiting times information leaflet.
On and off site facilities
Westmorland Bite Opening Times (Situated on Level One):
Staff and visitor restaurant: Monday-Friday 8.30am - 3.30pm
Hot and cold snacks available all day.
Breakfast 8.30am - 11.30 / Lunch served 12 Noon - 3.00pm / Supper - closed
Vending area open 24 hours per day.
Open Monday-Friday from 10am to 12 Noon and 2-4pm selling a range of items from books, cards, confectionery and snacks to hot and cold drinks.
Visiting wards and departments daily selling newspapers, magazines, stamps, and confectionery.
WGH General Office
Opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30-4.45pm, Friday 8.30 - 16.00
General Office 01539 795233
For general enquiries, please contact the switchboard on 01539 732288.