Inclusion and Diversity
At University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust, we believe that the provision of equality of opportunity to patients, their families and carers, and staff is fundamental to ensuring that our hospitals are a Great Place to be Cared For; Great Place to Work.
The Trust is committed to its statutory and regulatory responsibilities, including utilisation of the Equality Delivery System 2 (EDS2), now a requirement in the NHS contract, and meeting the requirements of the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) and the Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES). The Trust will ensure compliance with equality legislation, designed to address unfair discrimination experienced by members of protected groups as defined by the Equality Act 2010.
In addition to these minimum requirements, the Trust is working towards becoming a truly inclusive employer and service provider; which recognises and values differences, to create a culture and practices that recognise, respect, value and harness differences for the benefits of patients, carers, members of the public and employees.
The Trust’s aim is to become ‘effortlessly inclusive’, and to consider and value all views in shaping both patient and employee experience.
This film featured in our first ever Towards Inclusion Conference on 27 November 2015.
- People will want to access our services for care and treatment. The experience of patients and their families and carers will be positive, with equal access for everybody.
- To employ a workforce that is drawn from the breadth of society we care for, that gains strength from that society’s range of knowledge, experience and talent and that welcomes, respects and values the unique contribution of every Individual
- People will want to join and remain at our organisation as staff because we allow them to make their distinctive contributions and achieve their full potential. We do not tolerate any form of intimidation, humiliation, harassment, bullying or abuse and will ensure each individual is treated fairly, with dignity and respect.
- To break down all barriers of discrimination, prejudice, fear or misunderstanding.
The Trust’s Equality Objectives for 2015 - 2019:
- To eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- To improve year on year the reported patient experience for protected groups
- To improve year on year the reported employee experience for protected groups
- To reduce health inequalities for protected groups by improving access to all services.
Click here to view the Trust's Equality Delivery System Goals
NHS Equality and Diversity Partner Programme 2016/17
The Trust is hugely privileged to have been selected as one of NHS Employers Equality and Diversity Partners for 2016/17.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with NHS employers, other partners, as well as national stakeholders such as the Leadership Academy and NHS England to support us to embed and integrate I&D into the culture and structure at UHMBT, and for us to be involved in system wide efforts to improve I&D across the NHS.
Reviewed August 24th 2016