Our Oral and Maxillofacial department offers comprehensive treatment of face, mouth, neck and jaw conditions.
The Oral and Maxillofacial department is made up of several related specialties. These are:
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Restorative Dentistry
- Maxillofacial Laboratory
Together they form a cohesive, multidisciplinary team to deliver high quality care to patients with a wide spectrum of medical conditions. You can find out more about the conditions treated on their dedicated pages.
At UHMBT our dedicated Maxillofacial laboratory provides an important service to our clinical staff. With the added support and expertise of the laboratory staff, our department can constantly strive to improve our service for patients.
The Unit has dedicated nursing staff who ensure they provide an environment in which the safeguarding, interests and well-being of the patients are paramount.
In addition to the department's clinical staff, the administrative team significantly contribute to the delivery of the service.
The Orthodontic department is concerned with problems with tooth and jaw growth in patients.
This department works on the detection, study, prevention and correction of irregular tooth position, jaw misalignment and facial abnormalities that are caused by these two conditions.
The department is based at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary, with additional clinics at Furness General Hospital and Westmorland General Hospital (Consultation service only at WGH).
Hospital Orthodontic departments provide treatment for those patients with complex handicapping malocclusions and those requiring interdisciplinary care involving Maxillofacial surgery and/or Restorative dentistry.
You may be referred by your dentist for a consultation and more straightforward conditions will be treated at Specialist Orthodontic Practices.
If treatment is considered necessary and desirable after a consultation, your GDP will provide support. This will include your routine regular dental care, dental extractions and restorative treatment that complements your orthodontic treatment. Patients should be aware that these may be outside NHS funding.
- Consultation and diagnosis of problems with dental development
- Treatment planning for your GDP
- Correction of severe jaw misalignment concerning the bite of teeth
- Jaw deformity in adults
- Aligning upper and lower dental arches
- Severe skeletal discrepancy
- Cleft palate
Referring to this service
Your dentist will refer you to this service.
Oral and Maxillofacial surgery is deals with conditions of the head, neck, mouth and face that require surgical treatment.
The department treats a wide range of conditions and diseases that affect this area of the body.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery have outpatient clinics at each of our hospital sites.
- Cleft lip and palate
- Cancer of the head, neck and mouth
- Skin cancer
- Facial trauma
- Facial deformities and defects
- Reconstruction needed due to skin cancer on the head or neck
- Dental implants
- Missing teeth
- Salivary gland disorders
- Painful and restrictive jaw conditions
- Acute swelling of the head, neck, mouth and face
Restorative dentistry covers three areas of dental specialties
- Endodontics - Treatment of tissues surrounding teeth
- Periodontology - Prevention and management of gum disorders
- Prosthodontics - Replacement or restoration of damaged teeth using crowns bridges, dentures or dental implants
- Genetically inherited diseases of oral tissues
- Trauma injuries that have resulted in tooth/mouth tissue loss
- Cleft lip and palate
- Rehabilitation for head and neck cancer patients
- Cancers that require oral and restorative treatment
- Corrective treatment of genetically discoloured or translucent teeth
Referring to this service
If you are a patient, then your regular dentist can refer you to this service, for advice or if suitable possible treatment.
To refer a patient to this service, please address letters to Victoria Hadden and include the following information:
- Full patient details
- Referrers details
- Reason for referral
- History of patient's dental treatment
- Additional relevant information, such as radiographs and moulds, etc.
The Maxillofacial laboratory has been contributing to improvement of patient care through their work for more than thirty years. The laboratory is situated at Royal Lancaster Infirmary.
The laboratory provides multi-discipline technical support for all the areas of the Oral and Maxillofacial department at UHMBT.
They create patient specific dental prosthetics and equipment to aide treatment and recovery. The laboratory aides many additional departments across the hospital by making body prosthetics, which range from ears to breasts.
The Maxillofacial laboratory is involved with the student placement programme at Manchester Metropolitan University. The programme provides undergraduate training and teaching in a real world environment, which is highly beneficial for students.