Who are we?
The Children’s Physiotherapists in our team provide support for children and young people who have a condition that affects movement, posture or physical development.
The service aims to promote maximum independence and the ability of the child/young individual to participate in family, school and social activities.
How do we work?
- We work in partnership with the child / young person, their family and other professionals
- We provide assessments and individual support to enable the individuals to reach their full potential, maximise function, movement and independence.
- We provide physiotherapy interventions for a wide range of conditions and disabilities which impact on physical functions, such as mobility, muscle strength, range of movement and balance
- This can be done through:
- Postural management programmes.
- Provision/prescription of specialist equipment.
- Education and advice.
- We provide a community-based service by seeing children and young people in our clinics, at school / nurseries and at home.
What to expect
If a referral is made to the physiotherapy service it will be assessed by the physiotherapy team to see how we can help best. At this time the child/young person, family and school may be:
- Directed to advice and strategies to support the child/young person’s development. This should be implemented into the child/young person’s everyday life by the child/young person, family and school and direct physiotherapy may not be recommended at the time
- If appropriate, the child/young person may be offered an appointment over the phone, via video or face to face.
We are a goal-based service and provide episodes of care working towards goals developed and agreed with the child/young person and family. These goals progress towards discharge and self-management as appropriate.
We work closely in partnership with the child/young person, family, education staff and a range of professionals involved in the care of the child/young person’s development to promote positive outcomes for all children.
We are working hard to maintain children's physiotherapy services .
To ensure your safety and that of our staff most appointments will be initially offered via a telephone consultation.
During this phone consultation discussion will take place with regards the best and safest way to manage your child's physiotherapy care. You may be offered a video consultation for further assessment to be made.
It is important that if you are offered telephone consultation someone with parental responsibility and the referred child are available to take the call at your specified appointment time